Tuesday, September 27, 2011

We're all connected.

First of all, I'm really enjoying my family relations class! 
We've been talking about family systems. I found a picture online that does a great job of showing how everyone is connected; some are more closely than others. 
In class we were asked to draw an example of our personal family subset(s). As I started this task I had no idea how huge and complex it would get. For example; I'm connected to my parents, but I'm also connected with my siblings. I have a special connection with my sisters and a different kind of connection with my brothers, each of these being a different subset. I have a personal relationship with each of my siblings, so there is a subset as well. There can be literally hundreds of subsets in just our own family unit. 

There is a big difference between hypothesis, theory and law. If you don't know the difference between these three things, it might be time to take a refresher elementary course. We focused on different family theories - why we're motivated to help others and the reasons behind it.
  1. Exchange Theory: the "you owe me one" mentality. 
  2. Symbolic interaction theory: families communicate through words, gestures, rules and roles. 
  3. Conflict theory: you are motivated by a continual feeling of conflict and trying to get away from it. 
Generally speaking, I think most families have a nice combination of each of these theories. I know my family is not motivated by one theory alone, and that's alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment