Sunday, October 9, 2011

More than a simple definition

During this week, I've really started to realize how much I love the church's view of the family. I mean, I've always known, but it's more obvious to me now. As I was reading about the family I was stuck on the definition that was given. 
"Family, is a group united by marriage or cohabitation, blood, and/or adoption in order to satisfy intimacy needs and rearing children always take place in a social context, however. Such factors as social class, race, sexual orientation, religious affiliation, and type of community (urban or rural) all have some bearing upon marriage and family life." -Robert & Jeanette Lauer
While this definition is valid and has some good points, I am even more grateful for the chance I have to understand the family in an eternal perspective. 
"The family is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity. Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities. " -The Family A Proclamation to the World
Families are meant to be together forever. I am thankful for my chance to have a forever family. Family is more than just "a group united by marriage or cohabitation". It is a chance to be with the ones we love most for eternity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment